I’ve been wanting to try to make crackers for a while now & finally did it! I saw a few good ones, including some soaked flour recipes, but I went with Smitten Kitchen’s version. They taste like a cross between Wheat Thins and White Cheddar Cheezits. YUM! Here’s another cracker recipe I’d like to try.
1 cup whole wheat flour, more for sprinkling
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (fresh or not; I used the Kraft stuff & it tasted fine)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup cream or half-and-half, more as needed (could also try half & half, yogurt, or milk, although do whole milk because it would lend more of the nice creamy flavor like the cream did)
Coarse salt, pepper, more cheese, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or whatever you like for sprinkling (optional).
1) Preheat oven to 400.
2) Combine flour, salt, cheese and butter in bowl of a food processor OR with a fork/pastry cutter. Pulse (or cut) until flour and butter are combined.
3) Add about 1/4 cup cream or half-and-half and let machine run for a bit until a dough forms. If it does not come together, add more liquid a teaspoon at a time, until mixture holds together but is not sticky. (I used maybe a Tablespoon more of milk.)
4) Dust a baking sheet or baking stone with flour. Divide the dough in half, form a ball, press slightly flat with your palm, and start rolling it out. Go for super-thin if you want them crisp, up to 1/4″ if you want them a bit tender in the middle.
5) Cut into cracker shapes with a pizza cutter, knife, ravioli cutter, etc. OR you can break it into crackers after it’s been baked. (Just be careful not to scratch your baking sheet.)
6) Prick with a fork & top with any toppings. (I brushed on olive oil & more parmesan cheese.)
7) Bake about 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. They will crisp up more as they cool…if they last that long.